When I found out that pineapple is the international symbol for welcome and friendship, I thought a pineapple upside down cake would be a perfect gift for our neighbors across the street. This cake is a super easy semi-homemade recipe using a box of white cake mix and a can of sliced pineapples. The really cool part about it, is you pour it all into an iron skillet and bake. I’d love to try this recipe with other fruit on top as well.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple
- 10 maraschino cherries
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- Melt the butter over medium high heat in the iron skillet. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the butter.
- Next, arrange pineapple rings around the bottom of the pan, one layer deep. Place a maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed by the manufacturer, substitute some of the pineapple juice for some of the liquid in the directions. Pour the batter over the pineapple layer.
- Bake as directed by the cake mix directions. Cool for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate. Do not let the cake cool too much or it will be stuck to the pan.
Do you have any interesting ideas for a housewarming gift? Just the week before, I made an “Italian Dinner” themed welcome basket, complete with a tiramisu and bottle of wine, for the neighbors that moved in a week after us. I love surprising people with food! lol.
pinapple upside down cake recipe – allrecipes.com