Thank you to Minute® for sending me their new Ready to Serve basmati rice for this recipe.
This slow cooker chicken tiki masala recipe is pure comfort food in a bowl. Although the origin of this dish is Indian, chicken tiki masala is said to be the most popular dish in British restaurants, dubbed “a true British national dish”. The creamy orange sauce is tomato based with just a kick of spice. I’m a slow cooker addict so I was thrilled when I found this dish on Pinterest. It’s the perfect fall/winter recipe!
The last thing I want to do when my slow cooked food is ready to serve is prepare a side item, especially a gourmet rice that takes over 20 minutes to cook. Tikka Masala is amazing over basmati rice, so I was thrilled when I discovered Minute® Ready to Serve prepared basmati rice. This rice, typically served with an Asian or Middle Eastern dish, is ready in only 60 seconds! I’m not sure why I would ever stand over a stove stirring again when I can have the same flavor and consistency in a minute.
To kick the rice up a notch, in a way that spent no more than the minute it took to prepare, I squeezed in a little lime juice and finely chopped cilantro. Lime and cilantro, over the nutty basmati flavor, was the perfect compliment to this tikka masala dish.
I can’t wait to try other flavors of Minute® Ready to Serve including Brown Rice & Quinoa, Jasmine, Fried Rice, and more. I love that it’s easy to prepare at my desk and can be served from the cup, making it perfect for portability and portion control. Mix in a protein and a veggie for a quick, yet healthy meal.
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 3 lbs)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp freshly, finely grated ginger
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, sliced in half and seeds removed
- 1 (29 oz) can tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Minute Ready to Serve Basmati Rice
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, sliced jalapeno, tomato puree, plain yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir until combined. Pour half of sauce mixture into a large slow cooker then add in diced chicken followed then cover chicken with remaining sauce. Add in 2 bay leaves. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream and cornstarch, pour mixture into slow cooker and gently stir. Allow mixture to cook 20 minutes while you prepare the rice. Remove bay leaves and sliced jalapeno and serve warm over rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
slowcooker chicken tikka masala recipe, slightly adapted from cooking classy
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Minute® Ready to Serve Rice. Have you ever had chicken tikka masala? Is this a recipe you would try?