Once upon a time, I attempted chocolate curls with a warm bar of chocolate and a vegetable peeler. What I ended up with was super small chocolate shavings lol. Not cute, but at least it would give a little color and contrast to the top of my whip cream covered desserts. I convinced myself that taste over presentation mattered, but then I learned I can actually have both!
If you have ever wondered how to make chocolate curls and thought they were forever beyond your skill set, as I did, then you’re in for a shocking revelation! They are very easy to make! I found a super simple tutorial at Food Network and gave it a try, detailing the four-step process in the pics below. From here on out, my every dessert will be adorned with beautiful chocolate curls!
How To Make Chocolate Curls
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate squares
- 1 tablespoon all-vegetable shortening, such as Crisco
- Place the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl with the vegetable shortening. Throw it in the microwave until the shortening is melted and hot, 30 to 45 seconds. Stir with a fork to combine thoroughly.
- Next, pour the melted chocolate over the underside of a clean cookie sheet. Then, with an offset spatula or a knife, spread the chocolate in a thin layer. Keep going until it's very, very thin. Then...and this is the key...stick it in the freezer for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, check that the chocolate is ready by pressing it with your finger tip; it should leave the slightest mark, but not an actual depression.
- Next, get a somewhat sharp-edged spatula and begin to scrape the chocolate from the bottom of the pan. When the chocolate is just the right temperature, it'll curl instead of break. If it gets too soft, stick it back in the freezer for a minute.
- Pretty soon you'll have a bunch of fun little chocolate curls.
- Important: As soon as possible, transfer the curls to a cold pan or plate, and then stick them in the freezer to harden. Store in the freezer in a zip-top bag until you need them. Use them to adorn pies, cakes or platters of fruit. You'll feel instantly fancy!
Chocolate trifle recipe coming very soon! It feeds a crowd, tastes amazing, and looks beautiful, in my humble opinion ;)
Have you ever tried and/or failed at making chocolate curls? Is this tutorial something you would try?
how to make chocolate curls tutorial – foodnetwork.com