Pin this rum spiked bananas foster french toast recipe for your next brunch get together.
Bananas foster was meant to be served over french toast and french toast was meant to be topped by bananas foster. They should never end up on your plate without each other again! I like to consider myself a french toast connoisseur, and this bananas foster french toast recipe is the best of! It narrowly beat out my favorite holiday egg nog french toast that’s on repeat at my house in the cold winter months.
On it’s own, this bananas foster recipe is probably the best I’ve ever had! Besides anything and everything chocolate, it’s my favorite dessert. Who wouldn’t want french toast, lightly battered in egg, milk and vanilla smothered in bananas slow simmered in a rum spiked caramelized brown sugar sauce? The only thing missing would be a heap of vanilla ice cream, but I’ll save that for dessert later this afternoon.
I love that I was able to combine two of my favorite things in this recipe, and they compliment each other oh so well! This is an easy breakfast that has a gourmet taste and presentation, definitely something you would find at a high-end brunch restaurant that you’ve reserved for your best friend’s baby shower. Eat this mid-morning and serve with a mimosa, because after all, brunch without a mimosa is just a sad late breakfast ;)
Skip the syrup in favor of a little extra bananas foster sauce. I can’t remember the last time I raved about a breakfast like this and kept going back for more. This bananas foster french toast recipe will be my go to whenever I want to impress overnight house guests.
If you love french toast like I do, I hope you’ll share your favorite recipe in the comments below!
- 6 thick slices French bread, slightly stale
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 2 bananas, thickly sliced on the bias
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a pat of butter to the pan to melt.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture until the bread has soaked up some of the liquid. Flip the bread and repeat on the other side. Add the soaked bread to the frying pan. Fry for 2 - 3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your bread, until golden brown.
- In a pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the brown sugar and whisk gently to combine. Once the butter and sugar are incorporated together, stop whisking and let the mixture come to a low boil. Without stirring, let the sugar mixture boil for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the whipping cream and whisk to combine. Stir in the cinnamon and vanilla. Add the rum and banana slices. Cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute or until the bananas begin to soften, but you don't want them to turn mushy.
- Spoon the bananas and caramel syrup directly over the french toast. Serve immediately.
bananas foster french toast recipe – slightly adapted from my friend’s bakery