If you follow me on Pinterest, then you probably noticed that I have been on a major “make-ahead breakfast recipes” kick lately… mostly breakfast in a muffin tin recipes because they’re super easy to grab and go.
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day, so if I can whip up a batch of something tasty on a Sunday that can be heated throughout the week, then it definitely takes the edge off of a weekday morning!
I love baking with oatmeal! It’s so healthy and keeps me satisfied for hours. I keep pre-made meals like these banana oatmeal muffins in the fridge for the family to have for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Bake in these colorful silicone muffin liners to add a little pep to your morning!
This recipe makes about 14 regular-size muffins and they store well in the fridge for quite some time.
- 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups quick oats (or old fashioned)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp light brown sugar (dark is fine too)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs (at room temp)
- 1 1/4 cup ripe banana, mashed (about 4 medium size ones)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups milk, room temp
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or white chocolate chips too), plus some extra to sprinkle on top - I used mini-chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a muffin tin or use silicon muffin cups
- Combine the flour, oats, cinnamon, sugar and baking powder in a separate bowl. In another bowl, whisk the wet ingredients. Make sure both the eggs and milk are at room temperature, or else the coconut oil with turn solid again. Not something you're looking for.
- Add together the dry ingredients with the wet ones. Stir until everything is combined. Next add the chocolate chips. Mix again. During the baking process the oats will soak up all the wet ingredients and firm up. Fill each muffin cups. Sprinkle a good amount of chocolate chips on top of each one and put them in the oven.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, check and see if they have turned a golden brown color. Or when you touch the top it's nice and firm. I usually allow anything I bake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing them.