I was CRAVING beer cheese soup the other day for some reason and after looking up menus to every restaurant that serves soup in town, I couldn’t find one that carried beer cheese soup so I decided to make an entire pot of my own at home. I couldn’t help but to keep tasting this as it simmered on the stove and I was nearly full before pouring myself a bowl. It was SO good!
This soup can be toned down or up depending on the type of cheese and beer you use. I used an IPA beer and sharp cheddar, so my soup was pretty strong, which is exactly how I like it. For a more mild flavor, opt for a beer that isn’t too strong and a mild cheddar cheese. This is so good served with slices of crusty french bread on the side.
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beer
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups milk or half and half
- 6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- popped popcorn, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
- Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes. Serve topped with popcorn.
Also, what do you think about my new recipe card above? Now you can more easily view, print and save recipes from my site. I hope you enjoy the new layout!
beer cheese soup recipe – via allrecipes.com