This is a recipe that I keep on regular rotation at my house and love to make it for company. The original recipe was vegetarian, so the meat is optional, but I love it with the addition of Italian sausage or chicken. These lasagna roll ups are huge! The recipe makes 8 lasagna roll ups – I am stuffed after one and two is perfect for my husband. We usually freeze the leftovers so I can heat up a home cooked meal when my man is out of town. Serve with a side salad and some garlic bread for the perfect Italian feast.
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 pound Italian sausage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, drained
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 jar Alfredo-style pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Rinse in cold water and drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet over medium heat add oil and cook sausage until browned. Add in drained spinach and green onions until tender, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat and stir in ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and egg.
- In an 8x12 inch baking dish, pour about 1/2 of the Alfredo sauce on the bottom and spread evenly. Place noodles one at a time onto a sheet of waxed paper or plastic cutting board. Divide the spinach mixture up for 8 roll ups and evenly spread on each noodle, roll, and place seam side down into the baking dish.
- Top lasagna roll ups with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese. Cover loosely with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted. Broil for a few minutes until cheese is lightly browned. Serve.