Manicure Mondays – Outline Border Nails

on August 12 | in Manicures, Nail Art | by | with 31 Comments

Outline Border Nails

I wish I could remember where I saw outline nails for the first time. I feel like it was in an ad or on the runway, but I can’t seem to find it for the life of me.

I was so excited to try the outline nails trend and went for it with another neon and neutral manicure {more neon and neutrals at my ombre nails}. As I did for my Chanel nail art, I put down the outline color first, the neon pink nail polish, and then filled in with the neutral leaving a small gap of pink around the cuticle and sides. I used OPI’s Did You’ear About Van Gogh? because it has a wide brush, and fewer strokes means cleaner lines.

I took the neutral all the way across my tips, allowed that to dry well, and then came back and connected the outline by free-handing the tips with more pink. I was shocked at how easy it was to free-hand a straight line at my tips with a few short strokes. To prevent smearing, allow the mani to dry fairly well before topping with a quick dry top coat.

Outline Border Nails

I’d love to hear from you all. Is this outline border manicure something you would try?

1. Lana W. says:

I think it’s pretty! I would definitely try it. Especially the color combo you used.

2. Erica says:

I really like this. I’m glad you included the tip for the tips. I tried the Chanel inspiredami and will most def try this one.

ohhhh how did the chanel nail art turn out? did you love it?

• Erica says:

The Chanel mani turned out great. I used a dusky blue instead of pink and got lots of compliments. This one however did not translate as well most people thought I picked the polish off the center of my nails. I may just try it again without a neutral or maybe gray instead.

3. Mikaela says:

I would definetly try it but I don’t think it would look as good as your nails. Love this look though I would like to try it for sure.

4. alyson says:

Not sure this is for me, well maybe it’s because I’m hurt that my blue french mani was a fail, lol, however not sure about this… maybe two bold colors? ALWAYS fun though to see new looks! Impressive work, too.

you know, i heard you mention that mani was a fail once upon a time, but i thought it looked great and didn’t see any negative comments :) don’t be scared my friend!

5. Rachel Jay says:

Pretty! I like the pink outline instead of black, which is what I’ve seen. Much more chic, I think!

Not sure if I’d try it, simply because I don’t think my hands are steady enough.

i think you should go for it ;) you can always take some nail polish remover to it if it doesnt work out :) so happy you like my color combo, thanks!

6. Heather says:

Beautiful mani! I love the pink and nude shade together!!!

7. Genius! I’ve been dying to try this, but too afraid of messing it up… you did an amazing job!
    xx
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy

dont be afraid. as they say with hair, it’ll grow back, but with polish, you can remove a mistake immediately. love it!

8. Kristin says:

So cool! I wish I had that kind of precision!

it was surprisingly easy. i didn’t “outline” my nails, i did the outline color first, then painted over that with a neutral color using a wide brush :)

9. Emelie says:

That looks so unbelievably cool. I wouldn’t be able to do this though, never in a million years!

you should try ;) just start with the outline color first, and then go over it with a neutral color, using a wide brush. :)

10. Mandy says:

Just wondering….have you ever done any nail stamping? If so, what do you think? I’ve seen some pretty nice pics but not sure about it.

• Mandy says:

Thanks! Not sure how I missed that one! I’m going to have to put that on my Christmas list this year. I’m dying to try it.

i LOVE nail stamping, as the possibilities of design and color options are endless! i recommend the nail stamping starter kit, or if you’d like to choose your own polish colors and designs to get started, at a minimum you’ll need – a stamper, a scraper, an image plate, and a polish, preferably the konad brand until you get the hang of it, as it’s a thicker polish, meant for stamping :) if you give it a try and need help, let me know :)

oh, and speaking of Christmas wish list, i gave all of my friends the starter kit last year for christmas :)

• Mandy says:

WOW!! What an awesome friend you are!!! Thanks for the info and as soon as I get it I’ll let you know how it goes. And thanks from another Sunshine Sate girl!!!

11. BreAnnNicole says:

I haven’t been a big fan of these at all so far, but I’m loving your color combo so much that I might be changing my mind!

12. Trine-Marie says:

I absolutely love the way this came out! I tried it for the first time today, and I was surprised at how simple it was to freehand it – even with my less-than-steady hands!