Manicure Mondays – Ombre Nails

on July 15 | in Manicures, Nail Art | by | with 24 Comments

Ombre Nails - Ombre Manicure

Happy Manicure Mondays! I hope you all had a great weekend! We’re hoping to put our house on the market soon, so my Saturday and Sunday was filled with spring cleaning in the summer. We’re going through the “edit” phase right now, which means we’ll be piling things in boxes and putting it all in storage until our house sells. Fun, right lol?!?! Wish us luck!

Today I am excited about the first of many fun summer manicures I have planned for you all. I wanted to do a few neon and neutral summer manicures, so I thought the first up should be ombre nails. First, I used two coats of Essie Sand Tropez, followed by a layer of dry fast top coat. I let it dry pretty good before going on to the next step so that the mani doesn’t get too goopey when I press on the gradient effect.

Next, put a big blob of the Sand Tropez on a paper plate right next to a big blob of NYX Neon Mania Yellow nail polish. Mix the colors, only in the middle, with a toothpick. Press a triangle cosmetic sponge into the polish on the plate, and then roll the sponge across your nails {as you’d do with nail stamping}, with the neon color at the tip of your nails. Do this a few times until you get the level of neon at the tips that you’d like. Let it dry for a couple of minutes to prevent smudging, then top with a quick dry top coat. This will smooth out any of the sponged texture.

Ombre Nails - Ombre Manicure

So what do you all think of my ombre nails. Is this a manicure you’d like to try? It’s pretty dang easy, and I LOVE the effect!

1. I LOVE it! I want to try this exact color combo! My sister attempted the ombre nail look awhile back and she said she had a hard time with it and ended up giving up. I’ll have to try it for myself!

hey ying, im so happy you like it and can’t wait to check out your attempt. i think the key is to 1. apply a base color instead of doing all the work with a sponge and 2. letting the base coat dry well so that you have a good smooth surface for pressing on the ombre, just as you’d do when stamping nails. i reapplied color with the sponge about 3 times to get the level of neon yellow i wanted. i hope this helps :)

oh, and use a triangle cosmetic sponge, rather than a an eyeshadow sponge, because its more smooth and the gradient will go on in less strokes {presses}, for lack of a better word lol.

2. alyson says:

Love, love love! Yellow is so not for me/my complexion but would try this would another hue.

Love this! I would try maybe neon pink and I’ve wanted to try the ombre nails but haven’t had the patience. I might do it soon with this technique but a different color scheme.

this was actually way easier than i thought it would be. you just roll the sponge across, as you would a stamper :) i have two more neon and neutral manis coming soon in neon pink :)

4. I’ve been dying to do this, I’ve bought the triangle sponges for this same purpose! Just can’t decide on a color combo lol! I absolutely LOVE it!
    xx
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy

5. Jacob says:

This is such a pretty idea! I’ll have to make my sister try it out! Jacob xx

6. Athen says:

Hello there!! Love this mani & also wanted to mention – did you know you’re featured as a Today Show pin as well as on their website?!?! http://thelook.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/16/12707502-get-creative-with-your-nails-7-awesome-nail-art-ideas?lite SUPER EXCITING!!! Congratulations!!!! You might already know but wasn’t sure :) take care!!!

i had no idea. thanks so much for letting me know. had they linked to me, i would have received a notification, but that’s cool that they mentioned me :) that was a fun article, thanks for sharing :)

7. jennifer says:

Hi! I just saw your boom boom pow and petal pusher mani on a facebook post from “rue lala” – love it:)

im so happy u love it and thanks so much for letting me know :) i hope it wins the “chic” vote at their poll lol

8. Wendy says:

Gorgeous … i saw it done with pink earlier this week as well and it looks awesome. How on earth though do you keep it all so neat! My polish has never come out as neatly as this … is there a trick or secret that you’re willing to share?

9. Bailey says:

Love it with this neon! I just did a gradient/ombre with orange and red, kind of like a sunset. I failed my first time but discovered it is incredibly easier to do if you use a painter’s sponge/brush. When I’ve used a makeup sponge in the past, it always seems to soak up tons of polish, and leave little bits of sponge on my nail, making it bumpy. The painters sponge has a handle, making it easier to work, and doesn’t absorb as much. Just a tip! I will be trying these using neon pink!! x

ohhh the sunset sounds gorgeous. i hope you’ll share a pic if you have one. thanks so much for the tips on the painters brush. ill have to try that sometime. the triangle cosmetic sponge worked great for me, since it wasnt very porous, and i used the same saturated sponge for all nails, so it wouldnt keep soaking up the polish. where can i get a painter’s sponge?

10. [...] nails trend and went for it with another neon and neutral manicure {more neon and neutrals at my ombre nails}. As I did for my Chanel nail art, I put down the outline color first, the neon pink nail polish, [...]

11. Tayler says:

Nice! I love NYX, and this looks so easy to do. I think I’ll need to go buy some cosmetic sponges now.