Manicure Mondays – The Perfect Manicure

on May 14 | in Manicures | by | with 42 Comments

How To Paint Your Nails Tutorial Video

This is my first video for my new FabFatale YouTube channel, so I thought my first should be my most requested – how to get the perfect manicure. In this how-to tutorial, I show you how to paint your nails perfectly, file your nails, remove cuticles, and I offer up some tips on cleaning up those nail polish imperfections. I cover everything you need to know to get the perfect manicure.

If you have any tips that I didn’t cover, or if you learned something new, I hope you’ll share.

1. LOVE this video – I’m always interested to see how other girls paint their nails, but it looks like our technique is pretty much the same…glad to know I’m doing it right! :)

2. Ria :) says:

outstanding job on your video! i paint my nails the exact same way :D

3. stella says:

I really enjoyed this video. :) I’ve watched a lot of other manicure videos but yours is the most detailed yet brief video that covered everything! Some of the videos I’ve seen are like 20 minutes long and they cover less than half of what you did.. haahaha
    anyways, thanks for the video and keep up the good work :)!

ohhhh thank you so much! that is so nice to hear. i try to keep it short and sweet, while showing enough to get the point across. thanks again!

4. LOVE! Thanks for the video – I’ve definitely been requesting your tips for perfect at-home manis! My biggest problem is dry cuticles and I just started using the Sally Hansen cuticle remover a couple months ago – I love it. Glad I picked the same one you and Trina use. :) I also use a cuticle oil that I keep at my desk at least twice a day.

I haven’t tried swiping at the cuticle around and up like you showed. I’ll definitely give that a try too. Thanks so much Jennifer!

if you try the eyeliner brush trick, i hope you’ll let me know how it goes :) as you can tell in the video, i am not steady at all, so the brush is a huge mani saver :) ps – i put moisturizer on my hands every night before bed and it helps with my cuticles. i use aveeno daily moisturizer since it’s a little thicker than most lotions and rub it into my cuticles well.

5. Fabulous video and tips!!! You have such nice nails!

6. Natalie says:

This is a great help, thankyou! I definitely need to invest in an eyeliner brush for tidying up my nails…I have the least steady hand ever!

i have unsteady hands too! you can see me shaking in the video, but that eyeliner brush totally cleans up my flubs :)

7. Natalie says:

P.S. ‘Seche’ is pronounced ‘sesh’ (sorry, I study French so I’m a massive language geek!) xx

ohhh thank you! i have always wondered, and meant to mention in the video that i wasn’t sure. thanks for letting me know!

• solange says:

Great video thanks! I stink at applying nail polish, so I will definitely try these tips.

Yes “seche” is pronounced sesh and “vite” is pronounced veet. It means: “Dries fast”. Not so fancy sounding in English LOL.

8. Brienna says:

Love love love the eyeliner brush tip! Never would’ve thought of that but it makes perfect sense. *rushes out to the store to get a brush*

9. Amy says:

Love this video! So helpful and just made my manicure so much easier. I wish my nail beds were as small and narrow as yours though. lol. Thank you again for another awesome post!

10. Celina says:

Thanks SO much for posting, Jen! I’ve been wanting to see how you do your nails for the longest (you seriously have the best manis I’ve ever seen). Thanks for the tips! :)

11. You are amazing, now I know how to do it right.

ohhhh good! and thank you! please let me know how the tips work out for you. no more messy manicures with that eyeliner brush. it makes clean up so dang easy :)

12. Sarah says:

Wow I just learned so much. Thanks for showing me how to do this at home! Can you tell me where you found the nail file you used in the video? I can’t wait to try the cuticle gel remover and the eyeliner brush technique. So cool!

hey sarah, i hope all of my tips work out for you :) i got my nail file at sally beauty supply. i think it was about $4 and so worth the investment over those metal and sandpaper-ish nail files i was using before.

13. Mama Mia says:

Loved your video. I’m ready to go get an eye liner brush and have already shaped my nails using your tips. Very nicely done!

14. Nicole says:

Great video! I want to grow my nails after having acrylics. What do you recommend?

Thanks.

hey nicole, i haven’t had acrylics before, but i imagine if you keep your nails painted with a protein base coat, like Essie’s, then hopefully that should help them grow strong and keep them from splitting :) i hope this helps.

15. Carlee says:

This was great! You have the best manicures, I’ve been following your blog for a while haven’t posted but I have a “collection” of nail polish, around 100 polishes. I was wondering if you buy your polishes in bulk so they are cheaper or you just purchase them all separately? I would love to review and start a blog similar to this. That’d be great if you could get back to me! :)

im so happy you like my manis and thanks so much for the comment! always good to hear from my girls on what you all like best :) the collections i review were sent to me from the merchants, but when i got started, i would purchase the polish myself. i started doing nail art, which is less expensive than buying collections, and then the merchants started noticing me on twitter and facebook and offered to send me polish. your best bet for purchasing is amazon for individual polishes (their price + shipping is usually less than price + tax from a store) and collections on ebay. just keep swatching, tweeting and facebooking until those merchants notice your beautiful manis :)

16. Elizabeth says:

Great video – thank you! I am going to try your technique for pushing cuticles (something I only started doing recently and really had no idea how to do it), and also the eyeliner brush. I always used one of those SH pen things, but it gets all goopy pretty quickly. Thanks again for the tutorial!

17. [...] Caliente is the color I used in my How To Paint Your Nails Perfectly video tutorial. It’s a bright pink coral red creme nail polish, similar to OPI’s Red [...]

18. Madelyn says:

Hi, loved your video and am hoping you can do another one really showing how to file. I dont know if Im the only one with this problem but I have a hard time filing! I usually do my nails in the salon on a weekly basis but sometimes I do them at home. I do notice that at the salon they always file the sides A LOT!! I feel like thats not good cause it wears down the nail cause they really go at it, I noticed you didnt do that and I love the shape of your nails. in any case thanks for the video….Madelyn

19. I have wondered many, many times how you and Trina get such beautiful manicures at home. THANK YOU for this video!

20. Mandy says:

Thank you for the video. I’ve just recently become obsessed with wearing nail polish and I can’t get enough!! I just love your Manicure Monday!! I just ordered my Seche Vite and Seche Clear. Can’t wait to get them! Thanks!!!

21. [...] cuticles and the sides of your nails as possible. If you need a little help painting, check out my how to paint your nails tutorial. Next, paint a layer of bubble gum pink over the silver, leaving a spaced outline all the [...]

22. Wendy says:

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for replying to my question and for the link to this tut of yours … awesome and I appreciate it.

23. Kisha says:

I just love this tutorial. I usually would soak a cotton swab to remove polish but now I’ll remove the excess. I would normally remove polish then file but no more.
    I’m going to try the blood dripped Halloween nails.
    Thanks again for sharing your method.

oh you’re so welcome. please let me know how the tips work out for you. enjoy your halloween nails and thanks for the comment :)

24. Emily says:

I have an issue with my nails. I can never file them perfectly, like the sides, I mean. My nailbeds on my middle finger tend to fan out near my fingertip. Same for my index fingers. Any tips???

25. Kellie says:

If I am doing a manicure with a lot of layers and I am trying to skip a layer, it is better to skip a base coat? or one of my color coats?

26. Michelle M. says:

Loved this video !! very well spoken and an awesome step by step to a DIY manicure. I shared this video with my readers :-)