Good morning and happy Saturday. If you’re looking for an easy weekend breakfast with a little southern soul, then I think you’ll love this sausage gravy recipe. My husband (not a southern bell lol) isn’t big on sausage gravy, but really likes this recipe. He compares it to Bob Evans, which I’m pretty sure is a compliment.
This is a semi-homemade brunch, as I use Pillsbury Southern Style biscuits. It doesn’t get much better than these big flaky biscuits, so I save myself a few steps by going for the can. I make my gravy in an iron skillet, pour over hot biscuits, and serve with a side of scrambled eggs and sliced fruit.
- 1 (12 ounce) package breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Stir in the butter until melted. Add flour, and stir until smooth. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until light brown. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir in cooked sausage. Reduce heat, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. If gravy becomes too thick, stir in a little more milk.
I hope you all are having a great weekend! If you try this recipe, I hope you’ll let me know what you think!