Manicure Mondays – Disco Ball Accents

on January 2 | in Manicures | by | with 27 Comments

China Glaze Some Like It Haute Glitter Ulta Metallico Metallic Mania

Happy New Year everyone! I want to sincerely thank you all so much for reading my blog because getting to know you all has been the greatest reward of this entire experience. I hope this year brings you much love, health, happiness, peace, and joy.

I rang in the new year {and my birthday today} with my first accent nail ever! I shared this mani on Twitter and Instagram and my buds were shocked that, of all the manicures I’ve done, this was my first accent nail lol.

I decided to go for a rockstar manicure this New Years Eve with pewter nails and a disco ball accent finger. I picked up the Metallico set from ULTA and was so disappointed with the Metallic Mania dark pewter polish. It is the goopiest, streakiest metallic nail polish EVER!!! In one stroke, I had bald streaks next to thick goopey puddles! This manicure involved quite a bit of cussing and I had to redo a couple of nails. Metallico is a 5-piece mini set including 4 metallic polishes and a clear top coat, and I’m hoping the other colors are less streaky. I was able to even it out a bit with my Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat.

China Glaze Some Like It Haute Glitter Ulta Metallico Metallic Mania

China Glaze Some Like It Haute Glitter Ulta Metallico Metallic Mania

I had a much better experience with my China Glaze Some Like It Haute accent nail. This polish has a pewter shimmer base with flecks of hot pink, silver, green, yellow, and purple glitter. I used 3 coats to get it fully opaque and it really looks like a shimmering disco ball when the light hits it. I’m also wearing my favorite new JewelMint piece, Unlock Love, a sterling silver 2-piece ring set from JewelMint’s Prestige collection. I had to cash in 3 credits for it, but I’m so happy I did. I thought the edgy style of this ring went perfectly with my pewter manicure and picked up on the silver flecks of glitter in my accent nail.

China Glaze Some Like It Haute Glitter Ulta Metallico Metallic Mania

What do you all think of this manicure? Is this something you would try?

Update: I just went to Tweet this post, and not only am I mani twins with The Average Girl’s Guide, but she Tweeted a link to her manicure at the same exact time lol. Loving her resolutions!

1. alyson says:

Ahh, love it! We’re mani twins!! Love the metallic look… think I’m going for a gold next. Happy birthday! Hope you had a great time.

2. Kam says:

I loveee this manicure! It’s so cute! I love glitter nail polish so I will for sure try it :) Also, Happy Birthday!

3. Elle says:

Super Cute and I agree about the ring. It Is a perfect match for your look!

4. Sandra says:

I wouldn’t have known that it was streaky if you hadn’t have said anything. It looks great in the pictures.

oh good! im so happy to hear that. i figured i’d write it up for an honest review, but i still tried to get it right for a good pic. the top coat helped a bunch. thanks so much for the feedback :)

5. I love it… and isn’t it fun?

oh my goodness, so fun! and i will definitely be doing this more often rather than taking the time to design all my nails. i love the contrast for interest :) thanks!

6. LOVE the mani, and LOVE the ring! I want it so bad, just need credits to magically appear in my JM acct now… :)
    xoxo
    Lia

hey lia!!!! how’ve you been? keep bloggin about that JM girl. fortunately (or unfortunately, not too sure lol) i didn’t really like anything from JM for the past couple of months, so i was able to save my credits. i would NEVER pay the value for this ring ($89 was it?), but i love it and was so happy that i had a few credits to spare for it. i’ve worn it everyday since it came in the mail :) good to hear from you :)

7. LOVE the mani! i think ulta nail polish is cursed…i got a brand new bottle for xmas in my stocking and as i shook it to try it out….the lid fell off and the brand new bottle of polish shattered all over our marble floor. ruined. grrrrr! sorry your mani was a pain but it looks good! =)

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

no way! what the heck. have you ever bought any other sets from ulta? i have some of their full size polishes and love them, but in addition to the bad formula of this metallic polish, the mini brushes were difficult to work with. oh well, better luck next time lol.

8. Rachel Jay says:

I think what I like best about this statement nail is that it’s tonal, so while it stands out because it’s all glittery, it does so in a subtle way. Well done!

hey rachel, that’s exactly the look i was going for. i’m so happy you noticed. thanks so much for your comment and i hope you’ll keep in touch!

9. jamie says:

you have great nails! Love the colors!!!

10. kristi says:

This is such a fun idea! Do you think crackle nail polish would pull of the same affect or is it too bold?

the effect would be different, but i think it would be so fun to use crackle polish on an accent nail. what colors are you thinking of using? i hope you’ll share a pic if you do :)

• kristi says:

At the moment I’m addicted to red polish. I was thinking of a sparkly silver crackle? I also have black crackle and white crackle

oh im ALWAYS addicted to red polish. it was a color i was afraid of long ago (i stuck to wine and nude everyday), tried red for a day and LOVED it. now i have so many creme reds… im addicted too :) a solid white mani with black crackle on your accent finger may look fun! it may actually look like a cool design (animal print) on the one nail if you’re not looking at it close up. let me know what you come up with :)

• kristi says:

Oh thats a really cute idea! I got a red mani/pedi with snowflakes for christmas and that was the first time I’d ever tried red and I INSTANTLY knew I have been missing out lol I’ll mess around with a few and post what looks best

11. PENNY says:

THE THE COLOURS I USED CHINA GLAZE BLACK DIAMOND AND SOME LIKE IT. AFTER READING OF YOUR PROBLEMS WITH ULTA POLISH.

• PENNY says:

PLEASE NOTE CORRECTION: USED CHINA GLAZE BLACK DIAMOND AND SOME LIKE IT HAUTE.
      SORRY NOT ENOUGH COFFEE THIS AM.

ohhh what a great combo. i actually have china glaze black diamonds {go figure lol}. do you have a pic you can share? :) i LOVE seeing what you all come up with. so happy you gave this one a try :)