DIY – Airline Ticket Invitations

on October 26 | in Celebrate, DIY | by | with 22 Comments

DIY Airline Ticket Invitations

Welcome to my very first post at FabFatale.com! There are so many things that I’ve wanted to share over the years, mainly crafts and cooking, and now I’m so happy that I have a space to blog about anything and everything I love. Now that the possibilities are endless, of course I was stumped on what to blog about first, so I thought I’d start with my favorite craft project to date – my wedding invitations!

My airline ticket invitations took a ton of planning, trial and error. I wanted the dimensions and the type of paper, a thin semi-gloss, to be as realistic as possible. I even perforated both ends, added a barcode, and seat assignment (my husband sat in seat 5B when he went to pick up my engagement ring and kept the ticket, awww), just like a real airline ticket.

I’m happy to provide the templates I created for my invitations; however, you must have Adobe Photohshop to open and edit the files.

After I printed the invitations (you may print 3 per page to save paper), I used a Cutterpede Paper Trimmer for scoring and perforating the tickets. The Cutterpede comes with a scoring blade; however, the Cutterpede Perforating Blade is sold separate. I have included dots on all 4 corners of the invitations so that you may score straight lines easily. Of course I had to have rounded corners, so I punched them out using a Corner Rounding Punch tool.

I used blue paper for the envelopes, and printed on both sides – one side for the fold lines and the other side for the bride and groom’s name. The outer edges were cut with the Cutterpede and the slit for inserting the ticket was cut with a craft knife. After you have made all of your folds, apply a thin line of craft glue at the fold, top, and bottom of the envelope. The only unglued opening should be the slit for the ticket.

DIY Airline Ticket Invitations

Since my wedding was at the beach, I ran with the theme for EVERYTHING. There was only surf at my wedding, no turf :) I literally sent out 50 boxes full of invitation goodies that I had made including the airline ticket invitations and envelopes, a “Greetings from Carillon” RSVP postcard with a hibiscus flower stamp I made at Zazzle.com, a passport with everything guests needed to know about the big weekend, and suntan lotion in our sunset wedding colors. I filled the boxes with Excelsior to keep things natural and beachy.

If you’d like me to do a post on any of the other invitation items you see in the pic, let me know. Thanks so much for stopping by my new blog and I hope you’ll keep in touch :)

These are fantastic! I can’t wait to see more from you. Great first post!

2. Charlie says:

Wow, that is super genius. I love it and am totally going to steal it.

3. Brit says:

Those are amazing! You rock! :)

4. Sabrina says:

Hi. What an original idea for a wedding invitation. In Europe it’s never that elaborate unfortunately. Did you really send a box to all your guests? Wasn’t that A LOT of work?

thanks. im so happy you like it and yes, i did really send a box to each guest! lol i have a pic of my entire bed covered in boxes lol. had to add things to them one at a time, like an assembly line lol. i was so happy when i finally got them all shipped out :)

5. Veneta says:

WOW! Amazing!!!
    I love it. pls show more of this great invitations. I`m a travel agent and this post It`ll be very useful. I want to make some gift travel voucher :)))))

6. Leah says:

I am so happy you are blogging here now – I can’t wait to follow and keep up with your posts. I LOVE this blog you have here!

thank you so much leah! that is so nice to hear. im so happy you’ve joined me at this blog also and i hope you’ll keep in touch :)

7. Marisa says:

This is EXACTLY what we were thinking for our La Jolla wedding and I LOVE that you shared! Hiow did you do the maps? Anything else for a beach/travle themed wedding that you thought was amazing??

Thanks again!

8. Izzy says:

Thank you so much for this! I could not do it myself on photoshop so this is heaven sent. And I have bumped into so many dead ends with this format because they always came with a fee. This is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks again.

you’re so welcome! are you using them for a wedding? i hope you’ll share a pic of the finished invitations :) i have a post on the passport i did next week, including another download :)

9. [...] posted my diy airline ticket invitations {complete with a downloadable template file} a few months ago, and have had several requests to see [...]

10. Courtney says:

Do you mind telling me how you created the map? I am actually having my wedding at Carillon Beach next April and want to include a smaller 1 page version in my welcome bags.
    Thanks!

11. Sam says:

What kind of paper did you use for the envelopes?

it was just a standard blue paper, not quite as thick as construction paper. i didn’t buy a pack – it was the loose paper that you can buy by the sheet at the printing counter at Office Depot.

12. [...] since I designed my sister’s owl themed baby shower invitations, my beach airline ticket invitations, and my maternity Christmas card I swore off ever buying another template card or invitation [...]

13. Fabio says:

As you were trying to make it realistic…would you share what kind if paper did you use for the airline ticket? I’m trying to do the same here… :)

• Fab Fatale says:

Oh my gosh, I wish I could remember. I do remember testing it on a few papers and I went for something that was semi-thick and semi-glossy. I didn’t want matte, and I didn’t want super shiny, so it had just a little bit of a sheen to it. If you go to Office Depot, you can go to their print department and have them try it out on a few different papers before you purchase an entire pack of paper. I hope this helps :)

14. SJ says:

Hi, these are fabulous!! What grade of paper did you end up going with?