Manicure Mondays – CND Ruffian Half Moon With French Tips

on August 8 | in Manicures, Nail Art | by | with 14 Comments

CND Ruffian Black Half Moon French Tips Manicure

Metal Mosaic Ring – JewelMint.com

CND (Creative Nail Design brand nail polish) is known for the fashion forward manicures they design for Ruffian runway shows. I couldn’t wait to recreate their latest Spring/Summer 2011 mani with creme beige nails, black tips, a black half moon, and an accent nail design.

CND Ruffian Nude Black Half Moon French Tips Manicure

CND Ruffian Spring/Summer 2011 Manicure

I’ve really been into french manicures this month, but you know me, I’d never settle for a traditional french for Manicure Mondays, as seen in my spirited July 4th American Flag manicure and last week’s summertime multi-colored pastel french tips manicure. This french, the CND Ruffian 40′s vintage inspired manicure, is so trendy yet feels so classy at the same time.

I started my mani with a clear Seche base coat and two coats of Sally Hansen Beige Blast (last seen here). I topped that off with a Seche Dry Fast Top Coat and let it dry for about an hour. When you create looks that involve tape, I let my base color dry for a rediculously long time. I usually start earlier in the day with my base color and then go about my business for a while and revisit the manicure for the tips and half moon. My nails are dry to the touch pretty quickly after the first top coat so that I may do other things, but the layers below are not dry enough for tape until quite a bit of time has passed.

Next, I taped off the tips and the base of my nails with my french tips nail guides. The base tip will follow the same curve as the top tip, but you are painting under the guide for the half moon, and above the guide for the french tips. I used two coats of China Glaze Liquid Leather for the tips and moon. Allow this step to dry well, usually about 15 minutes, before slowly removing the tape.

CND Ruffian Nude Black Half Moon French Tips Manicure

Sneak Peek from
FabFatale on Instagram

If you’d like to stamp your accent nail as seen on the CND Ruffian manicure, any stamp will do, but I happen to have a butterfly stamp that looked strikingly similar in shape to the Ruffian logo design. I just picked up the latest Bundle Monster set and used plate number 222 with my Konad stamper and scraper. The China Glaze Liquid Leather polish was too thin for the design, so I used my Konad brand black polish, allowed that to dry for about 10 minutes to avoid smudging, and finished everything off with another layer of Seche Dry Fast Top Coat.

What do you think of this CND Ruffian manicure? Is this a look you would try?

1. Ally says:

I absolutely love the way this looks! So chic, definitely trying it.

2. I love this – so graphic & bold, yet completely chic! Might have to give it a try!!

3. Lia says:

Ooooh I loooove this!! I wish I had a stamping kit, they’re so friggen expensive tho. I’d totally do this!!

xoxo

Lia

4. This looks absolutely amazing: chic and sophisticated, I need to try it on my own!

xx Ivana

Style in the City

5. Oh I LOVE! Great mani Jennifer! I live vicariously through your manis, I really do. :)

6. Hannah says:

This looks awesome, I will definitely try this. Love the combo of light/dark, I did yellow nails with black tips to go with a bumblebee costume I wore for Halloween a few years ago. This is an adapted version that will be classy for fall. Good find!

7. Anutka says:

I have never been a fan of the ruffian look, but I love your version of it with the straighter lines! I might actually have to try this :D

This is a great nail look! I actually love yours better than the CND version. The model looks like she’s wearing press on nails that are about a size too big. #fail! LOL I would love to try this with other color combos!

9. Nancy - nshade21 says:

I agree with Trina, those nails on the model look fake and too big for her fingers! This is a very cool look!

10. SH. says:

I love your manicure mondays. You’re really inspiring.

11. Ale says:

I really don’t know how you do it, but it looks both edgy and demure at the same time. I just wish I had the skills. It is also very frustrating to go through all the trouble of doing something fun and two days later, bye bye baby! BTW, I sent you a message let me know when if you got it. XOXO

12. I am loving the nude and black combination. Maybe one day I will have the patience to accomplish this nail art work.

13. Jenny says:

I would love to see a video of your manicure.