Manicure Mondays – I’ve Got The The Midas Touch

on July 18 | in Manicures, Nail Art | by | with 19 Comments

JewelMint Midas Ring Manicure Dotting Tool Nails

JewelMint Midas Ring Manicure Dotting Tool Nails

JewelMint Midas Ring Manicure Dotting Tool Nails

This is one of those manicures that I wish I’d thought of myself. You know I love to combine my two addictions – manicures and JewelMint, so why not go for a JewelMint inspired manicure? Thanks so much to Ale for the fun idea to design a manicure based on JewelMint’s 70′s glam Midas ring! It was perfect timing because I had already purchased the Midas and it came in the mail that day!

So this started out as the most difficult manicure ever, and I should know difficult manicures, but this one really had me cussing! I didn’t have a nail dotting tool, so I tried to fake it with a bobby pin. I was literally dipping the entire bobby pin in the bottle and getting big blobs on my nails – each time, I’d have to redo the gold base color, ugh!!! Well, after reaching out to my bud Trina of xoxoTrina.com, she sent me a quick how-to video. To get the dots, simply touch a nail polish brush onto a paper plate leaving a blob of polish. Next, dip your bobby pin into the blob and dot the bobby pin onto your fingernail. Why was I making it so difficult??? I had sworn this manicure off until Trina saved me from my frustration lol. It actually turned out to be super easy.

Don’t forget to use a base coat first – I painted gold directly on my nails one time and it stained so bad! My nails looked so dingy and nasty until I grew it out completely. I’ve never let nail polish of any color touch my nails again. Also, I opted not to top with a top coat because I didn’t want to smooth out the blobs of polish. I felt like the blobs looked more like the enamel dots in the ring.

If you look closely, you’ll notice that I tried to represent every color of the enamel drops in the ring with the nail polish dots, and in the same order (OCD much?). I used all creme polishes to replicate the beautiful opaque drops including China Glaze Midnight Kiss as the base gold color, China Glaze City Siren (coming out in Fall), China Glaze First Mate, China Glaze Starboard, China Glaze Urban Night (coming out in Fall), Orly Spark, Orly Wild Wisteria, Essie Tart Deco, Essie Lapis of Luxury, and Essie In Stitches.

1. Somhrita says:

lol I HAVE to try this! I don’t have ALL the different colors! but this looks super fun!

2. Melissa says:

I’m amazed, it’s so gorgeous! I think all of your efforts are well worth it, it’s unlike anything I’ve seen. Who knew bobby pins could be so versatile?

3. Anutka says:

You captured the inspiration perfectly!!! LOVE it :)

It turned out amazing! So glad I could help! I’m such a visual learner so I thought the video would do the trick ;)

I’ve got Midnight Kiss and I think I have enough colors in my collection to attempt this look. If I do, you know I’ll share pics! :)

yes, i need pics! :) im sure you’ll do amazing at this mani :) thanks again for you help, as always ;)

5. Patti says:

Umm, can you come and live at my house and do my nails for me? Amazing!

6. Lakesha says:

I just finished doing this mani…i love it! I used mostly opaque OPI colors and it turned out so great i will be repeating it again with a silver base. Thanks for the post!

that’s so cool! im so happy you tried it out! i appreciate the feedback because i always wonder if anyone’s trying my crazy/fun manicures lol. do you have the ring also? i hope you’ll share a pic :) thanks again!

7. Jenna says:

Any word on the contest?

8. this is one of my FAVORITES!!! It’s perfection! You’ll be looking at jewelry for inspiration on the regular after this. I want it to magically appear on my nails right now please :).

9. Ally says:

Ah this looks so pretty!! I may try it but with different colors since I don’t have the same ones you used! Love!

10. Mai-Anh says:

This is one of my favorites! Love the Midas Ring so much! And this mani of course.

11. Ale Flores says:

OH MY GOSH!!! This time you outdid yourself!!!! Come on!! Seriously! You have the patience of a monk! I’m so glad I could help with an idea for this super fun Manicure Mondays that I have grown so fond of. But seriously, knowing my limits and clumsiness I think I rather stick to the gold tone or one of the colors displayed in the ring. However, I may try to do this one, let you know how it goes. BTW, I bought the Kook-a-mango last week, and I adore it! Also I bought the Pink Slip and is a tiny bit more pinkish than your Funny Bunny, but oh so subtle. Kudos on this one, yet again!!!!

hey ale! im so excited you saw this! i wrote you back when you requested it, so i wasnt sure if you saw my response! im so happy you like it! it was such a great idea! patience of a monk totally cracked me up! if you try this, please send a pic! thanks so much for reading my blog and for the request :)

12. bunniexoxo says:

im sooooo trying that midas touch today!! ive been wanting to ever since u posted it on ur old blog!! its so beautiful and i think pretty for spring too! :D

13. [...] known as a stippling manicure, and I haven’t used this technique since my JewelMint inspired Midas Touch manicure. To get this look, I started with a clear base coat followed by two layers of Paparazzi [...]