Manicure Mondays – Newspaper Nails

on July 10 | in Manicures, Nail Art | by | with 19 Comments

Newspaper Manicure Nails DIY Tutorial

My husband was just looking over my shoulder and I told him I was wearing JewelMint rings in this pic (imagine that, lol). He informed me that you can see my entire reflection in the silver ring – you can see all of me, squatting and holding out my arm to take the pic lol. Then he told me I was just like the naked man selling a tea kettle on Ebay lolololol. Never heard about that guy, but I can only imagine hahha.

Newspaper Manicure Nails DIY Tutorial

Newspaper Manicure Ingredients

Back to it – by very popular demand, I’m very excited to bring you a newspaper manicure! My friend Trina did an outfit of the day video a few months ago showcasing her newspaper nails and I’ve been wanting to try it ever since. Three reader requests later (thanks Erin, Ashley, and Michi), I finally went for it! I’m so excited that you all think of me when you have fun manicure ideas and love that you take the time to share!

This manicure is so easy – you really don’t need manicure skills or a steady hand for this one. Paint your nails in the color of your choice, one that will contrast nicely against the newspaper print will work best, and let it dry completely! I used Color Club’s Who Are You Wearing because it is a super light grayish nude, which reminded me of a print stained white newspaper. Next, dip each finger one at a time in rubbing alcohol, and for nearly 30 seconds, press a piece of newspaper against your nails firmly. Remove the paper and top the design off with a thick layer of top coat, painting carefully so that you do not smear the design.

I love love love that Trina didn’t use just any ol print – she used print from an Almond Cheesecake recipe featured in her local paper. I used the horoscopes – Capricorn for myself and Leo for my husband – hopefully we’re compatible lol. I got an email from one of my lovely readers Ashley and she had other fun tips such as picking out a variety of fun and funky fonts. She found it better to use freshly printed newspaper, as the print will come out much darker. She also said that shiny or color ads will not work. Thanks so much for the tips Ashley (I wrote you back, hopefully you got my email).

So what do you think of the newspaper manicure? Is this something you would try?

Update – Bunnie’s Newspaper Manicure

Newspaper Manicure Nails DIY Tutorial

I love love love when I find out you all are attempting my manis! I love feedback from you all so much!

@bunniexoxo just tweeted me her quick trial of this manicure and I love it! She used a Korean newspaper and the different color polish is too fun! She definitely took the newspaper manicure to the next level! Thanks so much for sharing Bunnie! I love it!

1. Cami says:

I love this!! I saw this on pinterest and love that you did it. Can’t wait to try it!

2. Melany says:

I love! A newspaper manicure is something I will definitely try!

3. Sierra says:

I love your site!! You are always giving me more and more ideas for manicures. I recently tried the snake skin mani and loved it! Actually I am still wearing it. I will be trying this one out soon.

YAY! I love your result. I keep telling myself I need to get that Color Club polish. I have the High Society and it’s so similar, just a tad darker so I talk myself out of it every time! But this color is perfect for what happens to be one of my fav manis to do! :)

5. Lauren says:

I thought it was a naked man selling a truck and you could see him in the bumper…Maybe it was both! Either way I like it (the manicure that is!)

why would the naked man be outside taking a pic of the truck! wow, that’s way braver than the naked man selling the tea kettle hahhaha

6. cadrommy says:

Lol I love husband commentary. Mine always cracks me up, he’s somewhat getting used to taking pictures for me, but it’s never without some entertaining comments so we end up with a bunch of me laughing or giving him weird faces because he keeps snapping away.

I’ve yet to get creative with my nails since just painting them one color alone is too much work for me – although I love it. But I just don’t have the patience for designs, although this one sounds easy enough!

7. Licia says:

I like it! I’ll definitely have to give this a try!

8. Somhrita says:

haha I tried to do this with the comic strip… but the comics were not off a newspaper… so it did not work as well. but I hear newspaper comic strips work this way too!

9. Lia says:

Hahaha your hubs is hysterical! I didn’t realize it at all until I read that and lo and behold! LOL! Anyhow, I really do like this look alot, I especially like how you didn’t do any random page from the newspaper but you used yours and your hubs’ horoscopes :) I love it like a thousand times more :)

xoxoxo

Lia

10. jennifer says:

thanks so much everyone! im so happy you all like it and appreciate the feedback :)

11. Ale says:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very creative!!!!

12. JaimeLeigh says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

13. Mandy says:

I bought this ring set after seeing it on you! You make them look amazing (i have sausage fingers and it doesn’t look as good) This mani is awesome…BUT when aren’t they? :)

14. Natalie says:

What a weird coincidence! My friend did this on her nails just last week – she used vodka instead of rubbing alcohol (I guess they’re pretty much the same!) It looks awesome – I can’t wait to try it!

15. Leah says:

I can’t wait to try this manicure out!!!!

16. Chelsea says:

So Cool! Love to see this inverse in black with white script writing… Good Idea?

17. carmen says:

OMgosh…I tried to do a designer logo made from WORD on my computer…it is trial and error!!! The logo after dipped in alcahol would not tranfer well on my nail!!….I tried 50 times! Maybe my polish was not dried long enough? Any thoughts how I can get it right!??

Thanks,