Manicure Mondays – Lace Manicure

on September 28 | in Manicures, Nail Art | by | with 52 Comments

Lace Manicure Lace Nails

Hey Everyone, sorry I’ve been MIA for the past few days, but I was enjoying some much needed quality time with my mom and sister. I was on a mission to keep the computer off for my four day weekend; however, my sis and I did do a lil somethin for a belated Manicure Mondays post. Here is a super fun real lace manicure that we worked on together – actually, I just sat there watching The Office marathon while sis did all the work :). This took more time than we expected and I’ll have to get back to ya on how long it lasts, but the end result was so worth it!

Lace Manicure Lace Nails

Real Lace Manicure – DIY Ingredients:

• 1/2 Yard Lace From A Ribbon Spool
  • A Base Coat
  • A Base Color
  • Non-Permanent Glue
  • Thick Clear Top Coat
  • A Toothpick
  • Wax Paper

To recreate this look, first prep your nails with a base coat and a base color because this DIY does involve glue and you do not want to glue lace directly to your nails. I used Essie’s Protein Base Coat and Color Club’s Who Are You Wearing?. You will want to choose a base color that contrasts well with the color of your lace.

Next, lay the lace over a nail and with a pair of small scissors, we used eyebrow scissors, cut the lace to the size of your nail. You will want the lace to be slightly shorter than the length of your nails – it is very important that it does not extend beyond your nail, else you will not be able to seal it with the top coat. Lay a piece of lace on wax paper, coat the back side with glue using a toothpick, and place the lace on your nail pressing the sides down with the toothpick. We used Hold the Foam! glue because it has an immediate grip, yet allows you to reposition the lace before it dries. Repeat the trim and glue process for your remaining nails.

Finish the manicure with a couple of applications of a very thick clear top coat until the edges are sealed and the nail is smooth to the touch. We used the Konad Clear Top Coat because it is super thick for finishing nail stamping designs.

I’m not sure that this manicure will last long, but it is perfect for a girl’s night out or special occasion! Thanks so much to my sister for taking the time to decorate my nails. Our lace manicure party was so fun! Would you wear lace nails?

Update: My sis came back and also did a feather manicure and snakeskin manicure. Hope you’ll check them out and let me know what you think.

1. trina says:

This is amazing!! Now I just need a sister to do them for me. Can I borrow yours? LOL. Seriously though, such an awesome mani!!

trina, im so happy you like it! honestly, i don’t know if i would have been able to pull this off myself. seems like i’d need an extra hand – id lay my hand down, and it took her two to hold the lace and trim, hahah. maybe i could pull it off, but not sure that it would look as good :) think you’ll try it someday?

• Lauren says:

I’d be happy to do your nails Trina! We should have a girl’s night and just have a product bananza doing manicures and masks and everything in our cabinets!

2. Peggy says:

Really pretty!!! I will be trying this!!!

3. emily says:

This is so amazing. Love it!

4. Brit says:

That looks ahhhmazinggg! :) Love it! I want to try it!

5. Too cute. Hmm, my hands are way too unsteady to do this on my own, I’ll have to enlist some help!

i think im going to try another method next time where i glue a piece to my nail and then cut around it (vs. cutting first and then gluing). it seems as thought that may be easier and ill do a vid for it if i do :) thanks for the comment. always good to hear from you :)

6. [...] The Looks for Less has the easy step by step process for a DIY lace manicure [...]

7. Love this Look!!! So very cool. I’ve had a lot of fantastic designs on my nails for photo shoot and this ranks high on the list of coolest nails that I’ve ever seen.

How long did the look last?

hiiiii ashley! coming from an expert, your comment is such a compliment! i took it off after 6 days, and it still looked perfect. i am so happy that it lasted so long, as it did take a bit of time to put on. i removed it because i was ready for the next mani, as always, haha. i hope you’ll try this, and if you do, please comment with a pic :) we add a new manicure every monday in our manicure monday series, so i hope you’ll keep checking back :) take care!

8. Isa says:

This is really pretty! I’d love to try it sometime, maybe for a night out at the goth club. :)

9. Stephanie W. says:

I think I might want to try this in the opposite colors… dark nails, light lace. What do you think??

10. nadiathinks says:

wow…amazed! absolutely in love with this. Just posted a link to this post on my blog because i love the concept. I’m with the girl who asked to borrow your sister because NO WAY mine would sit still and help me with this, but I LOVE it!

you posted a link! that is so awesome! thank you so much!!! im excited that you love the manicure and thanks so much for the comment! hope you’ll keep in touch! :)

11. GraceGraceGrace says:

This really has me itching to finally stop biting my nails after like fifteen years of it. I’m going to finally kick the habit and do this mani for Christmas. :D

12. Shanie says:

This look is absolutely gorgeous! I’ve been meaning for a while to try it out, but I just need to search for time first c: Your sister did a lovely job.

13. Jet says:

As soon as my nails are longer I’ll be trying this. What a fantastic idea!

oh i think this would look great on short nails as well. you should definitely try it. if you do, please comment back to let me know :)

14. vedette says:

Funny thing is that, whatever I do, yours still end up looking way better that mine when I tried it on my nails. Any tips?

15. Alysa says:

Hey, I’ve tried this before but I think I used the wrong kind of lace because it didn’t lay as flat as yours did. What kind of lace did you use?

16. Wow, it looks so awesome! :-) I wish I could do it but for me, cutting the lace into perfect oval nails would be a pain :-(

17. I LOVE this! It is so smart and so beautiful! I’m featuring this tomorrow on my blog!

18. Claudia says:

I love this look. I don’t know if I am patient enough, but maybe with some help I could try it..

19. annza says:

i love this, but could you use nail glue also?! just a thought.

im sure you could. anything that will make the lace stick and stay in place should work perfectly. then just seal with a top coat :)

20. Allison says:

I love it so much! My sister and I went out today and bought lace specifically for this, and it went so well! I did my own and they ended up looking great (other than being “rough” where the lace is, as I’m used to smooth nails).

I actually found it easier to do my own than to do hers (I think all the years of doing exclusively my own nails messed with my abilities) but we’re trying for round 2 with her tomorrow :)

aw, i love that it was a sister get together, just like me and my sis. manis make for such a fun girls night. manicures, a glass of wine, some brownies and a movie :) hope you’ll share a pic :)

21. LB says:

Simply stunning!

22. [...] undertones. I know lots of girls have trouble with this, but this guide really is helpful. This lace manicure tutorial looks a little tricky, but would be such a cool look to try this fall. On a similar note, how [...]

23. Ann Parker says:

Hi fellow office fan…I was curious just “stumbled upon” your website and love the looks so far…I was curious if you posted an approx. time it takes for each look you do? <3 love love love <3 the creativity!

24. [...] can get the complete tutorial over @ Looks for Less. 1Share [...]

25. [...] can get the complete tutorial over @ Looks for Less. Posted by Jennifer in Beauty, DIY. This post has No Comments. Tags: beauty, [...]

26. NadiaThinks says:

I did it! LOVE this tutorial…was perfect!!! I did it myself; it took some time but I did some before and after cutting and I think it worked out well.

Details of my attempt at http://nadiathinks.tumblr.com/post/13533977112/whew-lace-diy-mostly-done-out-of-top-coat-so-i

27. [...] Speaking of tips, check out these amazing nails via fabfatale.com– [...]

28. Bianca says:

HI! I love you blog! It’s so so so good! and i was just wondering if you could check out my blog at; http://be-f-and-f.blogspot.com/ and email me at be.f.and.f@gmail.com

THANKS

xo.

29. Chanel says:

I’ve been looking for how to do a lace manicure – and when I came across your blog, it was love.

I have no idea how this will turn out on my own nails – but I need to try this.

Great diy.

30. [...] queen of my lace and feather manicures, is the lovely hand model for this polka dot manicure, lol. My Bundle Monster [...]

31. [...] the idea just in time for my sisters visit – my sister Lauren is the queen of the infamous lace manicure and feather manicure. A little yucked out by using real snakeskin, I assured Lauren that the snakes [...]

32. [...] DIY lace nails [...]

33. [...] Lacy scraps + nonpermanent glue = fancy lady [...]

34. serena says:

this looks awesome! how long does it hold up?